Monday, January 28, 2008

Another Day At the Office


Monday, Monday, Monday!!!

For most, one of the worst days of the week...

Back to work, back to school, back to a schedule,

back to workin' for da Man!!!


I'm not really excited to be going back to work... I'm not jumping up and down or planning a huge fireworks display in celebration of a new work week. I do sometimes follow the "LoverBoy" ideal..."Everybody's workin' for the weekend!!" But I do love my job!!!

I am a personal trainer by career and also a new Yoga Teacher (having just completed my first of many Yoga Teacher Trainings).


I was admittedly lost for a while. When I got out of Highschool I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life...Video game tester wasn't really an option. I ended up applying to 4 different colleges for 4 different things (mostly art realated). When it came time to decide I realized that I didn't want to do any of them. Soooo, like any other average dude in my area, I got a job in a factory. As much as I ended up hating my life for a couple years b/c of the job it really did lead me to my first real connection with myself.


I, for lack of a better term, got sick of it!!! I got sick of going to work when it was darkand getting out of work when it was dark. I was sick of working my ass off and only getting comments from my supervisor when I was messing up (never praise for my hard work).

It was at that time that I took my first step towards FREEDOM. I went back to school.

I chose to follow my passion and go to school for music (I'm a drummer by nature) because it was the only thing that had remained a constant joy of my life. I didn't get full support right away(sorry Mom...I just don't like working with computers) but my parents eventually saw how happy I was and helped me a lot in the end.


When you get out of music school you basically have 3 options...1.Starving musician. 2.Music as a side job. or 3.Teaching lessons full time and gigging on the side. Non of these options appealed to me. That, in turn, led me to think "What else do I really like to do?" Hey I like to work-out. And I've always had fun helping my friends at the gym. Giving advice and making training programs!!

So I became a Personal Trainer...which then lead me to Yoga....Funny thing...I don't even really touch weights anymore...What a great chain of events!!!


For anyone that reads these Blog entries....I have a tendeny to go off on tangents...But its all relavent.


Anyway, back to Mondays. I seriously feel that work is one of the best places to cultivate the Yogic values that I've been studying and implementing. I believe that I was meant to work where I do so that I could deal with the obstacles that have layed in path for years. I have never really handled high-strung people very well...I just wouldn't even waste my time with them.

My boss is the Webster's definition of high-strung. He is wound so tight that he might spontaeously combust at any moment. Excessive Vata and Pitta....EXCESSIVE!!!

He has really helped me to go inside myself and teach myself that there is no such thing as stressors...Its all in how you respond to it. Before I would go out of my way to avoid him so that I didn't get stressed out. Now...I breath...stay calm...he is who he is...I am who I am...I have 2 choices...stay and deal with it or quit my job. I chose "Calm".


Ahimsa, Satya, Asteya, Brahmacharya, Aparigraha!!

All come into play in day to day life....for those of you not familiar with the above Sanskrit terms,

Go to Google and type in Yamas.

We are faced with many things through out the day...

How do you deal with them?

I use Yoga!!!
Namaste...shanti...shanti...shanti!

No comments: